Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Designer Profiles: Stephanie Cook


When did you become interested in interior design? 
When I knew it was a career; growing up I always thought it was only for people on television. I couldn’t believe something that fun could be a real job. Then soon after high school, I found out a friend of my grandmothers was an interior designer and that day I enrolled in school and ended up getting a bachelors degree.

What would you say is your design style? Your niche?
My style is a mix. People ask why did you name your company PLURAL Design and it’s because we do more than one style in one space. I believe to have a really successful design you must have variety. The key is to pull everything together with lines, scale, textures and color. My goal is to give my clients something they could never achieve on their own. Otherwise what’s the point!

What is your style mantra?
Anything comfortable and bright, usually my painted sweats (Due to my love of painting) or a skirt with converse.


What inspired you to be a part of the ASID Dream Home?
Because it was a win win situation. I design because I love it. I get business, because people see it and the National MS Society benefits from it! 

How are you incorporating universal design into your room? 
I wanted my design to be universal and stylish. So I incorporated modern alternatives to otherwise unsightly predecessors. In addition to I also added the main requirements like functional clearances for approach and use of elements and components. Components that do not require tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist, surfaces that are stable, firm, and slip resistant and many others.
.Where do you look for inspiration, whether it be design or style?
I look for inspiration in anything from a vintage purse to the packaging of candy. My phone storage usually fills up within a few months because when I’m out an about, I’m documenting new ideas and storing them away for that perfect client. 

We all run into problems doing design work.  Can you tell me about a headache you had and how you resolved it?
Hmm, well I would say it's patience. Anything that has to do with the construction side can always be worked out and is always fixed. A client once told me, "You have so much patience, how do you do it?" I said discipline, the best way to handle any situation is to not lose it. The hardest moments in my career have been times where it has pushed me mentally. Learning from these moments has prepared me for anything that comes my way. 

Who is your style icon?
This may seem weird but my style icon is my mother! She is a horrible dresser and has no sense of style, haha not really, but she is happy and wears what she loves. No outside influence just things she finds beautiful. I owe my free sprit and own uniqueness to her. ;)

What is your proudest moment to date?
I think I am most proud of the charity design makeovers I have done for the Make-A Wish Foundation and Boys Hope Girls Hope! The proudest moment was the first reveal to Kimberly Tello, she has systemic lupus erythematosis and needed a room that was happy and easy to keep clean. Her reaction had such an impact on my life that it changed me forever. To this day we still speak and I am planning a trip to Disneyland when she is back in town! You can view the video makeovers at http://pluralidpress.blogspot.com/

Any advice to aspiring designers?
Be yourself, stay organized; build yourself a good team of contractors and when this business kicks you down (because it will), remember why you do what you do! Because you love it!

Anything else you'd like to add?
I am a firm believer in getting what you give in life. The same goes for Interior design. If you treat your clients with respect and do the best job you can do, you will have much success and clients will turn into friends. 

You can find and contact Stephanie here:

No comments:

Post a Comment