Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Designer Profiles: Rick Campos

When did you become interested in interior design?
Way before HGTV. When I was a kid I remember my mom would change up the look of our house on a whim. I would wake up on a Saturday morning and the whole living room would be switched around! While she insists that I did not get my interior design gene from her, she did in all seriousness exhibit to me how a room can function in multiple configurations. The rest is history.


What would you say is your design style? Your niche? I take pride in developing practical design solutions that allow people to live better. I'm not afraid of breaking a few rules in the interest of satisfying my clients and making them feel like the space is functional, stylish, and unique to them.

What is your style mantra?
I believe that good design is a delicate balance of sophistication, charm, mood and attitude - it should evoke emotion. Design is not a competition, it is a privilege.


What inspired you to be a part of the ASID Dream Home?
To share my design vision with the thousands of people who will tour the home and also to collaborate with some of the best designers in Orange County which is truly an honor and a privilege.


How are you incorporating universal design into your room?
A u-shaped configuration will allow for ease of access to the three components of the space. A reverse layout makes the space easy to transition through when it is not in use.


Where do you look for inspiration, whether it be design or style?
I am constantly evaluating my surroundings and what works and what doesn't, then I apply that trial and error into my designs. Nothing beats actually being in a space and experiencing how that space makes you feel. I sweet talk my way into as many people's homes as I possibly can but I never judge - I just observe.


What is your best design tip?
Don't be afraid of color, pattern, or scale. One or a combination of all of these elements is what makes a space personal and unique.


We all run into problems doing design work. Can you tell me about a headache you had and how you resolved it?
Sometimes a paint color or a fabric just does't work after all. I would be lying if I said that I have nailed every project to perfection. I approach every challenge with confidence and authority. I don't stop until the outcome is what I feel it should be for my client.


Any advice to aspiring designers? Interior Design is a huge industry and is serious business. Put down the remote control, go to school, practice, and connect with industry professionals to really learn the many facets of our field.

You can find and contact Rick and his team here:
http://www.christophertracyinteriors.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment