Friday, February 3, 2012

Designer Profile: Tamra Mundia


When did you become interested in interior design?
I was truly born with it! The progression was natural beginning with a fort in the eucalyptus trees complete with my own custom designed furniture to a teenage bedroom dressed with a bold navy and white wallpaper print to compliment my all white furniture.

What would you say is your design style? Your niche?
My personal style is a warm contemporary with an organic flavor. My niche is figuring out my clients design tastes and reflecting thier style in the interior I design for them.

What is your style mantra?
To translate my clinets identity into the physical space and help them create the ultimate lifestyle that they have only dreamed about.

What inspired you to be a part of the ASID Dream Home?
It is a fun and innovative idea that I think will create much interest as well as benefit a great cause and I wanted to be a part of it all!

How are you incorporating universal design into your room?
I designed the space to support easy access to all seating and dining. The automated shades are on a remote and the cocktail table is pulled out further from standard to accomodate possible transfer from wheelchair to outdoor furnture.

Where do you look for inspiration, whether it be design or style?
Nature is the ultimate inspiration for me. I live at the beach and watch the colors in the sky during sunset - the ocean tides on a rainy day - and the rock formations on the cliffs.

What is your best design tip?
Call a designer. If you do it yourself at least get a plan from a designer so you don't waste time and money.

We all run into problems doing design work. Can you tell me about a headache you had and how you resolved it?
The biggest mistake I see people make over and over is spending massive amounts of money and not getting what they want. I had a client call me AFTER remodeling. They built a really open floorplan without a space for a television. I designed a custom entertainment peice that floated in the great room with the back side forming a banquette for seating in the dining area. It worked!!

Who are your style icons and why?
Jackie O for her incredible knack in wearing just the right thing. She kept it simple and chic!

What is your proudest moment to date?
I designed a home for a family that was looking for a change in environment and lifestyle. They went away for the summer and returned to the newly remodeled home. During the reveal she cried and said I changed thier life! This was a very rewarding project...:)

Any advice to aspiring designers?
If your passion is with interior design you will always love what you do. It is so rewarding to see the difference you can make through design.

You can find and contact Tamra and her team here:

No comments:

Post a Comment