Friday, February 3, 2012

Designer Profile: Amanda Malson

When did you become interested in interior design?
I became interested in art and design at a very early age. Both of my parents are artist and designers. I was raised among all types of artists and designers. My grandmothers were crafters and taught me sew when I was 5 years of age. I have an affinity for "putting things together", structure, materials and fabrics. I grew up spaces planning tents and forts in my backyard. I guess I would say, it's just ingrained in me.


What would you say is your design style? Your niche?
Modern eclectic or vintage modern. Both my business partner and I love to pair classic modern and custom made pieces with vintage or flea market finds. We love utilizing shots of bold color and creating contrast by mixing it with a neutral base or background. Accessorizing is a big part of the success of our interiors.


What is your style mantra?
"Is it appropriate? Always consider the details no matter what!! Design in a way that you love! "


What inspired you to be a part of the ASID Dream Home?
It's always fun to participate in a project within a community where you are all working toward creating new experiences for people to view and enjoy. I am also very passionate about supporting The National MS Society. It's really a treat to be able to design an interior that supports a cure for MS.

How are you incorporating universal design into your room?
I have the Grand Foyer gallery theme is planed in such a way that anyone can easily view the art and motivate gracefully around the room.


Where do you look for inspiration, whether it be design or style?
EVERYWHERE!!!!


What is your best design tip?
Keep things simple. Even the most extravagant interiors have simple methods behind them. Always be editing. Creative accessorizing. Show off your collections and always display the things you love in your home. Keep it organized! Buy bins, baskets or create custom spaces for your "behind the scenes" items. Art makes a huge difference. Consider the placement and size of the pieces. Displaying collections of anything always makes a huge statement.


We all run into problems doing design work. Can you tell me about a headache you had and how you resolved it?
Most all problems are solved through clear communication, responsibility and accountability.


Who are your style icons and why?
For Architecture - Roy McMakin
For Fashion - Paul Smith, Kate Spade, Diane Von Furstenberg.
For Color & Pattern - Kate Spade, Kelly Wearstler & David Hicks
For Juxtaposition of furniture - Vicente Wolf & John Saladino
For Web - The Selby...and SO many more.
For Design & Scenario - Futurist Syd Mead


What is your proudest moment to date?
"Creating my own business and bringing it into existence from nothing with my business partner Jolene.
Having my home published by Traditional Home Magazine. "


Any advice to aspiring designers?
Look at everything! Figure out what the subtle details are. Study why high-end brands work. Master scale and proportion and color. Simplicity simplicity simplicity. Take a business class.


Anything else you'd like to add?
“The role of the designer is that of a very good, thoughtful host anticipating the needs of his guests.” Charles Eames


You can find and contact Amanda and her team here:

No comments:

Post a Comment