Friday, January 27, 2012

Designer Profile: Adriel Cogdal


Adriel Cogdal of Adriel Designs is heading up the committee of designers selected for the MS Dream Home. A longtime practitioner of interior design and former ASID chapter president, her firm is also known for yacht design. Adriel will be designing the intermediate foyer this year for the Dream Home.When did you become interested in interior design?
Without knowing it as a child. Always loved looking at beautiful furniture and houses with my mother. Seriously as an adult after my husband died and my family pressured me to find a career. Like a lighting bolt it occurred to me that interior design fulfilled all my career requirements. So I went to school and have never looked back.


What would you say is your design style? Your niche?
What ever the client wants. I do not impart my style onto anyone. My niche is Universal Design and Yacht interiors along with residential. Still love houses.


What is your style mantra?
Just enough.


What inspired you to be a part of the ASID Dream Home?
I am the chair person. I took this on this year because we were doing something completely different than in years past. I believe ASID should be in the forefront of design, and this presented a unique opportunity for me in a leadership position.


How are you incorporating universal design into your room?
My tiny vestibule is a pathway between two rooms. The dark floor and bright walls are sharply contrasted for dimming eye sight. There is enough room to turn around in a wheel chair and go the opposite direction. There is room at the desk for a wheel chair to pull up to it and actually use, though the room is designed to really pass through.


My tiny vestibule is a pathway between two rooms. The dark floor and bright walls are sharply contrasted for dimming eye sight. There is enough room to turn around in a wheel chair and go the opposite direction. There is room at the desk for a wheel chair to pull up to it and actually use, though the room is designed to really pass through.Where do you look for inspiration, whether it be design or style?
My clients inspire me. But I get inspiration from books, fashion, movies, art anything and any where can bring inspiration if you're open to it.


What is your best design tip?
Hire a professional. And cry once. Spend the money for quality and assistance and you'll save a bunch of money by not having to go back and correct your mistakes or re-buying the same item over and over.


We all run into problems doing design work. Can you tell me about a headache you had and how you resolved it?
When trying to install medicine cabinets in a master bathroom we discovered there were pipes behind the wall that prevented us placing them centered over the sink, where we wanted them. We could have moved the pipe, but it would have been very expensive. We redesigned the area and placed the cabinets on the side walls and covered the doors with the wallpaper so you couldn't tell they were there.


What is your proudest moment to date?
Heading this team of interior designers through the design house process.


Any advice to aspiring designers?
Stay true to your dreams. If you truly love what you do it will not be like working, it will be a joy.


You can find and contact Adriel here:

No comments:

Post a Comment